West Yellowstone Weather & Roads
February 27, 2021 – March 5, 2022:
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 26F. Low around 7F.
- Monday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 32F. Low around 24F.
- Tuesday: Snow possible. Cloudy with a high near 38F. Low around 25F.
- Wednesday: Cloudy with a high near 43F. Low around 23F.
- Thursday: Cloudy with a high near 42F. Low around 24F.
- Friday: Snow possible. Cloudy with a high near 34F. Low around 16F.
- Saturday: Snow possible. Cloudy with a high near 28F. Low around 9F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country. Up-to-date conditions at weather.gov
When visiting West Yellowstone, Montana please practice appropriate measures to protect yourselves, the people of West Yellowstone as well as other visitors. Click for current COVID-19 information.
All roads in Yellowstone are closed to regular vehicles except the road between the North Entrance at Gardiner and the Northeast Entrance at Cooke City. There is no access through the west entrance of Yellowstone by regular vehicles as this time. All access is by guided snowmobile and snow coach tours only.
2021-2022 Yellowstone Winter Opening Date:
- Roads opened to over snow travel by snowmobile and snow coach at 8 am on December 15.
2022 Yellowstone Winter Closing Date:
- All roads close to over-the-snow travel on March 15.
2022 Yellowstone Spring Opening Dates:
Roads open to regular vehicles on the following dates:
- April 15: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 6: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 11: Cooke City to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway
- May 13: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass).
- May 27: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway
2022 Fall Closing Dates:
Roads close to regular vehicles on the following dates:
- November 7: All roads close at 8:00 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- October 11: The Beartooth Highway (US-212) closes between the Long Lake barricade, near the Top of the World store, and the Montana/Wyoming state line.
- Travel east of Cooke City, Montana, to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway is possible until early November. Check at WY DOT.
Check travel conditions:
- Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623)
- Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623)
- Idaho – 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1.
- Yellowstone Road Conditions:
- For up-to-date information call (307) 344-2117 for recorded information, or sign up to receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone by texting “82190” to 888-777 (an automatic text reply will confirm receipt and provide instructions). Anticipate possible road closures due to inclement weather and dangerous driving conditions.