West Yellowstone, Montana is not only brimming with heart-pumping winter recreation, but also unique entertainment for the entire family. Start your adventure with a sled dog tour, snowmobiling, or snowshoeing through our picturesque corner of Montana. After a day of snow-filled fun, catch a guaranteed sighting of grizzlies and wolves at the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. Wrap it all up with the monthly Kids’N’Snow event, sure to bring happy smiles to everyone in the family.
This list will make winter in West Yellowstone your favorite season!
7. YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK: Experience the park in a whole new way with a guided snowcoach or snowmobile tour to see popular park destinations, like Old Faithful.
6. ICE FISHING: In winter, Hebgen Lake becomes an ice fishing paradise. Visit the local marina to get a fishing report and then head out for a day on the ice. Don’t miss out on the NAIFC Ice Fishing Tournament in January.
5. SLED DOG TOURS: For a truly unique family experience, make this the year you enjoy the thrill of dogsledding! Sled dog tours are available daily with sleds that can handle up to a family of four. Experience the excitement at the Rodeo Run Sled Dog Race in December.
4. SNOWMOBILING: A 400-mile groomed trail system winds through the southern reaches of Montana and into Idaho. There are perfect trails for both first-timer and the experienced snowmobiler; groomed trails lead to backcountry adventures.
3. CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING: West Yellowstone is a cross-country ski mecca with over 50km of varied terrain, from gently rolling hills to more challenging climbs, in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Annual events happen throughout the winter season.
2. FAMILY FUN: Kids’N’Snow takes place one weekend each month in West Yellowstone, and offers an assortment of options to introduce families to winter activities including ice skating, sledding, snowshoeing, skiing, and winter learning programs. Saturday night S’mores & Skatin’ & Sleddin’ is everyone’s favorite way to wrap up the day!
1. SEE GRIZZLIES AND WOLVES: The Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center gives you guaranteed opportunities to see the animals and offers kid-friendly activities and presentations. December is Christmas for the Critters – donate food for reduced admission and discounts in the gift shop.
For a listing of all West Yellowstone events click here
West Yellowstone offers a full range of lodging options, from personal cabins and family-owned motels to large, full- service properties. You are sure to find the perfect home away from home as you experience the winter wonderland of West Yellowstone and Yellowstone National Park.
Courtesy of West Yellowstone TBID